Tuesday, July 22, 2008

September 11th

I know it's July, but when a question is asked about September 11th I had to blog about it. Here in Seoul, we have 5 star lodging. In the main entrance area, there is a sign that has a ribbon and September 11, 2001. Jenna was under the assumption that was the date the lodging was built. In my heart, I knew this day would come. Jenna and Brodie were discussing that date and still were assuming that was the date the lodging was built. I had to correct them and find a way to not terrorize them into thinking the world is full of mean, terrible, terrible people. I know the world is FULL of these people. However, I would like my children to remain innocent for as long as possible. I don't think Brodie "gets" it as much as Jenna does. Jenna is smart, she's reading in a 3rd grade level, she investigates and researches things.

How it broke my heart that I had to tell, knowing that they will never understand what it did to our nation as a whole. Jenna was about 3 weeks old when the planes hit the towers, pentagon and field. I was supposed to fly the following week to visit my family. Of course plans were changed and I had to fly later than I wanted. I wondered how this would affect my husband, what would become of his job and where he would end up. How my heart broke for all those people, families, friends, co-workers and parents who had their lives taken too soon.

All I know is, this terrible thing happened. I want my kids innocence for as long as possible. So, I told them that some bad men took control of airplanes that hit the towers, the pentagon and field. I didn't go further into what exactly happened. They were happy with the answer Mommy was able to give them....for now.

1 comment:

Bobbie aka Mimi of 3 said...

This brought tears to my eyes - I'm so proud to have a daughter that is such a wonderful mom. Cindy Cinocco said in an e-mail "your daughter is amazing." I happen to agree.