Sunday, August 05, 2007

North Korea




I can tell you all that Bill and I have offically been to North Korea. Now I know what you're thinking....are you kidding me??? Did they ship you over there??? No, we went on a tour and in this little building, we were on the North Korea side. It was a little scary thinking that quite a few communists were watching ALL of our moves. I know you all don't believe me, so here are some pictures. North Korea
The building we went into.A building they call the Monkey House. They call it this because sometimes the North Koreans go in there, open the curtains and make faces, etc. to get the Americans to point or gesture towards them. This is a big NO NO.Bill and I in North Korea.Republic of Korea soldier doing his tae-kwon-do stance. He can kick some booty!!



The wall where the Republic of Korea soldiers make a human chain as to not be pulled into North Korea when checking the locks.The "line". The sandy side is North Korea, the rock side is Republic of Korea.A sign.Me



Bill

A memorial for a couple of Americans that were killed by some North Korean soldiers with axes, over the trimming of a tree.They call this place propaganda city. It was a very hazy day, so it's hard to see.A map of Korea.This was at the tunnel. Bill said it was only a quarter mile, but coming up it was ALL up hill. I'm so glad that he was able to push me to continue on. This also tells me...I really need to start going to the gym and lose a lot of my fat ass!!! Hope you enjoyed the tour. We had a great day. Then we went and spent the night in Osan. By ourselves.....NO CHILDREN were present!!! We did some shopping and then went back to save Mimi. The kids listened to her and got their things picked up without any fights . We say a big "THANK YOU" to Mimi for the quiet time.

3 comments:

hollibobolli said...

WOW!!!! I'm not sure why - but I think I would have been scared!! I guess I don't know what the atmosphere would be like over there for Americans.

I don't understand - they try to get you to point.. and then you get in trouble???

You know - I have NEVER seen pictures of you all. You are SUCH a cute couple!! Those are great pics.

HUG!!!

This was a great, interesting post. Thank you so much for sharing this.

I don't imagine I will be getting to North Korea anytime soon... so for me, this was extremely fascinating!!

I'll have to bring Tom back. He's all military and all that... stuff.

xoxo

Jenna said...

Holli- I was scared. The American Soldiers that are your tour guides tell you exactly what to do and not do on this tour. The BIG thing is to not make any type of contact with the North Koreans as they think it's threating and an act of hostility. With all of this said, basically they can come over the line and start a big fight. Of course, this wouldn't look great for the good ole US of A because I'm sure someone would get killed. The one thing I got out of it was how lucky we are to live where we do. No threat of anyone invading our country at ANY time. This is a great history lesson for our entire family and we think it's a great way to learn about a different culture. The only thing that sucks is that we are SO far from our families and friends!

Lauren The Artist said...

That looks VERY cool. I was thinking "eh, I dont need to see a bunch of Koreans staring at me, more than ususal" but boy, that looks very neat.

~jen~